Pets

Common household items can be a threat to your dog!

Even the cleanest and seemingly safest home or apartment can lurk a threat to your dog’s health. There are many common household items that we all keep that can be a threat to your dog, either making him sick or killing him.

Did you know that an environmental toxin could be any substance found outside of an animal’s body and, if ingested or otherwise exposed, can cause a harmful biological change?

We live in a world that we try to turn “green” and yet many of our homes are full of things that can harm our dogs.

Did you know that secondhand cigarette smoke can cause cancer in dogs? Rotten food found in a trash can has the potential to cause illness or fatality.

The substances found in a home that can become a lethal threat range from insecticides and contaminated water that pollutes the environment to a host of other things that seem small and insignificant.

I hope this article opens the eyes of readers in some way and possibly prevents a dog or other pet from having to suffer illness or die.

Dogs, as you know, are one of the most curious household pets, a monkey may be more curious, but when it comes to putting things in their mouths, I think dogs have all other creatures beaten.

Since a dog has no hands to figure things out, his first choice is his mouth and whether it tastes good or not, he gets into his mouth. I have never read anywhere that dogs are gourmet eaters. It seems that their philosophy is that, if possible, it can be chewed and / or swallowed. The problem with this philosophy is that toxins in objects can cause illness and / or objects can cause serious obstructions within the dog’s body.

So what should a dog owner do? First of all, there are some simple rules to follow that will prevent some accidents from happening. Especially if you have a puppy or dog that loves to chew, keep small things out of your dog’s reach. Things like small rubber balls, jewelry, medicine bottles of all kinds (glass or plastic), ant or mouse poison containers, household cleaners, live wires lying on the floor that can be chewed, containers with insecticides, fertilizers, liquids from automobiles such as antifreeze, power steering fluid and the like. Anything you don’t think you would like to swallow, consider it a “no-no” for your dog.

There are many foods that can cause a toxic reaction in a dog:

– Alcohol, in addition to causing intoxication, can cause a coma or even be fatal.

– Avocados: a fatty acid found in avocado leaves, fruits, seeds and rind called “persin” can cause shortness of breath, abnormal accumulations of fluid in the chest, abdomen and the sac around the heart.

– Chocolate: this and any product related to chocolate, such as cocoa powder, cocoa beans, cocoa mulch, are very dangerous for dogs. These products contain caffeine and theobromine, both of which are nervous system stimulants, and since dogs metabolize theobromine more slowly than humans, it can cause a multitude of problems, including death. Dark chocolate has the highest concentration.

– Coffee, tea and cola: they contain caffeine and can cause caffeine toxicity, in addition tea and cola contain theobromine.

– Grapes and raisins – they are highly toxic to dogs – we do not know the toxic component, but eating large amounts can cause kidney damage or failure.

– Macadamia nuts: another toxic mystery, but a dangerous food for dogs, it can cause depression, hyperthermia, weakness, muscle stiffness, tremors and increased heart rate.

– Mushrooms: contain toxins that can be fatal if ingested by a dog.

– Nutmeg – I did not know this would affect a dog, but it is on the list of very dangerous foods for dogs, and if a dog eats enough it can be fatal. I don’t know what is enough, so keep it away from your dog.

– Onions and garlic: It is not known how many onions or garlic a dog (or cat) should consume, but they are considered dangerous because they contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can break down red blood cells and cause anemia. According to what I have read, consumed in large quantities can result in severe anemia and even death, if not treated by your veterinarian.

– Xylitol: This is a sugar substitute found in some chewing gums and sugar-free candies that is extremely harmful to dogs. If a dog eats enough candy, it can cause life-threatening low blood sugar, loss of coordination, depression, liver damage, collapse, and seizures.

Yeast Dough: Increased yeast dough can cause gas to build up in a pet’s digestive system, causing the stomach or intestines to rupture. Do not feed your dog raw dough that contains yeast. Once cooked, a small amount of bread or muffins is fine for your pet.

Some plants are also very toxic to dogs. Puppies are often the most curious, but dogs that love to dig can get in trouble too.

The following plants generally cause the same amount of problems and these are the symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, depression, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, lethargy, drooling, tremors, seizures, and an upset stomach.

Amaryllis, Azaleas, Autumn Crocus. Christmas pine needles, chrysanthemum bulbs, cyclamen, daffodils, some ivy, holly, kalanchoe and lilies, sago palms, oleander, poinsettia, tulip and daffodil are the most common found in our gardens. However, the castor oil plant contains a highly toxic protein and one bean can kill a human and four beans can kill a horse, so I would remove my garden from that plant just to be safe. If a bean can kill one of us, I’d bet a serious bite from a puppy or dog could be lethal.

Also new to the garden circle is cocoa bean mulch that smells like chocolate, dogs are drawn to it and will eat it. It can cause a lot of trouble including death, stick to our regular mulch to be safe.

Do not allow your dog to swim in standing water or in any water that you are not sure is free from contamination.

Dogs are like children, they are very curious and are attracted to things because they smell good. If it smells good, it must taste good and that’s where the problem lies.

All dogs are at risk when it comes to chewing or swallowing a toxic or obstructive object, especially old dogs and young puppies. It’s a good idea to make your home “baby-proof” by keeping things out of your dog’s reach, and when you’re outdoors, a careful look can prevent mishaps.

Invest in an emergency first aid kit for your dog. Must contain:

– a new bottle of hydrogen peroxide (3%) to induce vomiting

– a turkey syringe or a large syringe to administer the peroxide into the dog’s mouth

– saline solution for the eyes

– artificial tear gel to lubricate the eyes after rinsing

– forceps (tweezers) to remove stingers

– a muzzle to protect against bites induced by fear or arousal

– Mild dishwashing liquid that cuts grease to bathe the skin after any contamination.

– a can of your pet’s favorite wet food

– a pet carrier

Keep your veterinarian’s phone number close to your phone and also keep the ASPCA poison control number at 888-426-4435 (there is a charge for this service). The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center website has an alphabetical list of the most common plants, with information about their safety.

If at any time you think your pet has ingested a toxic substance, call your veterinarian immediately. Time is of the essence and the life you save will be that of your pet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *